Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Scientists find key drug to treat chronic pain

I read a story today about how scientists are seeing promise treating chronic pain with a new type of drug. This drug is called L-838,417, and it is a subtype selective GABAa antagonist.

In english, this means it works on our type of spinal chronic pain like Valium, but with fewer side effects. It also remains effective longer, whereas our bodies quickly build a tolerance to drugs like Valium.

This story was especially interesting to me because I recently found that Valium works great for my chronic pain. I was treated with this drug after my surgery and it not only relaxed my muscles (which can be really tight after back surgery!)--but it helped my pain quite a bit. This was realized as some of my pain returned after coming off of the drug.

Read the full story here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's encouraging info. Thanks for keeping up to date on all aspects of SM.