Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Intraoperative photo of filum lysis (filum terminale detethering surgery)

I had my filum lysis (detethering) surgery on December 12th. Here is a picture from the surgery, along with my explanation.

Intraoperative picture of tight filum terminale before cutting. The filum is the tissue which connects the bottom of the spinal cord to the sacrum (tail bone). This one was abnormally tight. The small metal hooks are holding the spinal sac (dura) open. The metal hook is pulling on the filum terminale, which is about to be cut. This opening is in the lumbar spine.



Click To Enlarge

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've been checking your blog every day for an update, and then all you post is a surgery pic?!?! jk man, I really hope you're doing well. And I hope you'll post about how it went and what your results are so far as soon as you can. Peace.