Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Whether or not to Detether

Now that I have a diagnosis of "occult" tethered cord syndrome (TCS), and I'm a candidate for a detethering (SFT) surgery, I have to make the decision whether or not to detether.

This is a tough decision, and I am taking a three-pronged approach to solving it:

  1. Clinical: Are my symptoms bad enough or progressing fast enough to justify moderate risk?
  2. Research: What are the published success rates with SFT surgery as a therapy for my type of syringomyelia.
  3. Networking: What do patients who've had the SFT surgery have to say about it?
I've solved the first problem; my symptoms and progression warrant moderate surgical risk (as much as I hate to say it). The second problem is tricky, as the idea of tethered cord syndrome (TCS) which becomes symptomatic in adulthood (possibly causing terminal syringomyelia) is a new idea. (See Related Links on this site for recent research). Still, I'm reading, talking to physicians, and learning about current research.

The third prong of my decision-making attack relies on talking with patients who have had the SFT surgery. This is where I need your help.

Tell Me About Your SFT Surgery


There are two ways you can share your surgical story with me. First, you can send me a private message by clicking on my profile, and using the Email link on the left. The other option is to share your thoughts with all my readers by leaving a comment at the bottom of this article. This has the benefit of helping others who may be trying to make this decision.

I've also added a couple of (unscientific) polls which you can vote on if you've had the SFT surgery.

3 comments:

aj said...

I started a discussion about this on the asap.org forums, which has received some good feedback:

Looking for post-op SFT (detethering) patients

Zipperhead said...

I finally remembered to come over and hope.

Good luck!

Keesha/Zipperhead

Anonymous said...

My son had lamectomy surgery to correct his tether cord dysfunctionHe was two at the time and just turned three. He has had several MRI to ensure that it did not reattach. He may need decompression surgery for his Chiari. The Chiari institute has been a miracle to us.