Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Calling Dr. Y's Boss: Give me a referral please.

I was stuck in a tough spot. My old neurologist, Dr. Y in Seattle, had refused to give me a referral to OHSU Neurology. OHSU Neurology had refused my PCP's referral after a bunch of time and effort. What to do?

I decided to call the P.clinic where Dr. Y practices and explain my problem to a manager or someone who would listen. After reaching a curt (rude) dead end with Dr. Y's office the last couple times I tried to call, I really didn't want to call them again.

Luckily, I got ahold of a friendly, professional care manager, Ms. BW, at the P.clinic. She listened to my story and went and talked to Dr. Y's office. She got them to do the referral and called me back within the half hour. Yay, I get to go through the OSHU referral hoops again. I suppose putting Dr. Y's office through that process is punishment enough for being rude to a patient. Ha ha.

I wonder if Dr. Y read my letter yet. In a way I feel a tiny bit bad for being such a squeaky wheel. I hate to complain in general. When it comes to getting healthcare, unfortunately, you sometimes have to escalate issues and file complaints. The stakes are too high to just give up.

No comments: