Friday, March 10, 2006

Neurontin (gabapentin) for Pain and Spacticity

One of the first things we did when I started seeing my new neurologist (Dr. D) was to reevaluate any medications I was taking and see if we could improve the management of my pain and muscle tightness (spacticity). At the time, I was taking minimum-dose Paxil (10mg/day), and Vicodin. I was taking the Paxil because I still had some left from my old primary care physician (PCP) Dr. M, who thought my strange neurological symptoms may be due to depression. The Paxil never did help my pain and neurological symptoms. It may have helped me sleep and kept me happier as I dealt with chronic pain, but it never served its intended purpose. We decided I should quit taking it. Second, we looked at my use of Vicodin to manage pain. I complained about the side effects of Vicodin. I was taking it daily for pain, but would wait until I got home from work if at all possible. I would take the lowest dosage possible, but I still experienced grogginess, an exascerbation of my weakness symptoms, and feelings of depression. Being a narcotic, Vicodin tended to make me feel like crap mood-wise if I took it for very long. It really was not the right drug for the job.

Dr. D prescribed Neurontin for me, and I initially took 300mg once and then twice a day. At first I felt euphoric and woozy, but those side-effects wore off within 3-4 days. As I got used to Neurontin, I found that it was much better at managing my pain, and caused fewer side effects compared to Vicodin. I quit taking Vicodin regularly; my pain level was usually tolerable.

While I was taking Neurontin (300mg) only twice a day, I noticed my pain would usually come back in the two to three hours before my next dose. I started taking Vicodin again occasionally after work. I also was still having problems with spacticity. Even though I spent over an hour a day stretching, and had a stand-up desk at work, the back and joint pain from my ever-tightening muscles was a serious problem.

At my next follow-up appointment with Dr. D a month later, I told her how I was doing. We decided that I should start taking the Neurontin three times a day for pain. I mentioned I was having a hard time with spacticity still, and she prescribed a short-term muscle relaxant for me to try out (forget the name now, will fill in later).

Over the next week I started taking the muscle relaxant before bed and increased my neurontin dosage to 300mg three times a day. Although I'd be a little light-headed at work in the morning at first, I had the best week I've had for a long time. I almost felt normal for most of the day. It was wonderful. I sent Dr. D a memo thanking her for listening to me and making a big difference in my symptoms. As my body became used to the increased dose of neurontin, and as I quit taking the muscle relaxant, some of the relief I had faded. I continue to do well, however. I am more productive at work, and happier at home.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello... I've never heard of 'your' disorder, so I looked it up. It doesn't sound pleasant. I have a severe spinal degeneration, which started in 2000 with A herniated disc (lumbar). As of last MRI, it was eight, with two severe stenoses, one lumbar, one cervical. Of course, there was severe compression of the cord in both. I had emergency surgery to remove C5 vertebra last year, because my left arm and part of my right became paralyzed. The surgery and phys. therapy worked, but left LOTS of pain. I take methadone 300 mg/day (and still going up), and Neurontin 1800 mg/day. The Neurontin does help, I think. Well, enough about me. I hope there is progress since your posting, and I know it's a long struggle. Depression is the worst problem, because it lessens your ability and will to deal with the others. Keep posting, because there isn't enough patient input to the whole process. It seems Doctors drive the whole process, but too often drug companies are driving them from behind. WE need to be talking to each other and helping shape what happens to us. Thanks for reading and best of luck.

Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!

Anonymous said...

I have degenerative disc disease, radiculopathy, two bulging disc (lumbar), osteoarthritis, and bursitis in my back and hips. I was hydrocodone for a year and I did great on it. I learned when I get used to it, my dosage didn't need to be increased, all I had to do is stop using it for a week and then start taking it again as usual. However, when I moved and had to switch doctors, they wouldn't give it to me anymore. They've been giving me different combinations of different things to see if anything else will work. I'm on celebrex and neurontin and they both suck for me anyway.

Unknown said...

I have started nuerontin and it has amazingly given me relief after 9 months of severe pain with very little relief from percocet..my mood is also better and i am able to be alittle more productive..its definitely just covering the majority of my pain..but if its all that i can do im in...the pain is still there but it had knocked it down a notch for sure. I have Syrnix t4 to t12 multiple buldging disc moderate ddd